All over Germany theaters are marking the thirtieth anniversary of RWF’s death with productions of his work. 2012 is seeing an unprecedented number of concurrent productions of Fassbinder works on German-language stages. We would like to provide an overview here of works currently being staged. It is notable that the majority of the plays are in fact based on film scripts that have been adapted for the stage since the 1990s. As a result, 11 of Fassbinder’s films have found their way onto the stage since his death.
Recently completed runs: Theater Bremen In a Year with 13 Moons, September 2011 – January 2012. Frankfurter Autoren Theater The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant, February – March 2012
Schauspiel Leipzig /Skala The Third Generation, November 2011 – February 2012.
Coming premieres in 2012:
- April 1 Veronika Voss, Rationaltheater München
- April 4 Katzelmacher, Schaubühne Berlin
- April 9 Satan’s Brew, Kammerspiele München
- April 13 Fear Eats the Soul, Staatstheater Schwerin
- April 14 Katzelmacher, Residenztheater München, Marstall
- April 15 Lola, Rheinisches Landestheater Neuss, Schauspielhaus
- April 19 Satan’s Brew, Theater glassbooth, Neue Galerie Gladbeck
- April 21 Lola, Theater Heilbronn
- April 23 The Third Generation,Schauspiel Frankfurt
- April 26 The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant,Neues Theater Halle
- June 1 Water Drops on Burning Rocks, Schauspiel Stuttgart, Foyer Nord
- June 2 Fear Eats the Soul, Das Theater a. d. Effingerstr., Bern
We would also like to take this opportunity to recommend a visit to the RWF exhibition in the Deutsches Theatermuseum in Munich, which runs from May 24 to September 9, 2012.
Also recommended is the recently published study of Fassbinder’s work by David Barnett, “Rainer Werner Fassbinder – Theater als Provokation” (160 pages, Henschel Verlag 2012).
Photo left: © Istvan Bajzat
Photo right: Wolfgang Pregler as Walter Kranz and Edmund Telgenkämper as the Publisher in Satan’s Brew, 2012 © Kammerspiele München